A sore throat can be defined as a dry, scratchy, and painful sensation in a person’s throat. Pain in the throat is one of the main signs of sore throat. It turns out that the highest number of people that visit the doctor each year are suffering from the condition. Therefore, it’s essential to understand what causes a sore throat in Exeter so that you can get treatment at Luxtons Pharmacy today and feel better.
Most cases of sore throat are caused by environmental factors like dry air or infections. A sore throat goes away on its own in most cases, even though it can be very uncomfortable.
There are three common types of sore throat, and they are:
Symptoms and what causes a sore throat in Exeter
The symptoms that accompany a sore throat come in variations depending on what caused it. These symptoms are:
– A burning sensation
– Scratchy throat
– Dry throat
– Irritation in the throat
The symptoms can get even worse when talking or swallowing. Redness can also be witnessed on the throat or tonsils.
In some cases, areas of pus or white patches can form on the tonsils. Other symptoms associated with a sore throat are:
– Loss of appetite
– Nasal congestion
– Body aches
– Swelling of neck glands
– Runny nose
– Hoarse voice
– Trouble swallowing
What causes a sore throat in Exeter?
A sore throat can result from several issues, including infections and injuries. Below is a list of some of the most common causes:
– Seasonal illnesses such as colds and the flu – Viruses lead to a huge percentage of sore throat cases
– Bacterial infections like strep throat
– Allergies – The immune system can release chemicals as a result of allergy triggers like grass, pollen, and pet dander. The chemicals can lead to symptoms like throat irritation, nasal congestion, sneezing, and watery eyes
– Dry air – Dry air can suck moisture from your mouth and throat, leaving them dry and scratchy
– Irritants like smoke and chemicals can lead to a sore throat
– GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) – This is a condition that happens as a result of acids pushing back from the stomach into the esophagus. The acid burns the esophagus and throat, developing heartburn and acid reflux symptoms.
Now I know what causes a sore throat in Exeter, how can I treat it?
Most sore throat cases can be treated using common home remedies.
– Get plenty of rest to give your immune system a chance to fight the infection.
To relieve the pain that comes with a sore throat:
– Gargle with warm water mixed with half to 1 teaspoon of salt
– Drink warm fluids such as soup broth, warm water with lemon, or hot tea with honey, to help soothe the throat. Herbal tea has also proved to be effective in soothing the throat
– Eat cold treats such as ice cream or ice lollies to cool the throat
– Reduce talking until your throat gets better
Learn more about treatment for other minor ailments in our latest blog post:
How will Luxtons Pharmacy Help?
Feel free to get in touch with us to get more information on how you can relieve the pain and discomfort of a sore throat. Below are some of the medications we can provide:
– Paracetamol and ibuprofen
– Anaesthetic spray
– Medicated lozenges consisting of anti-inflammatory medications, anaesthetic or antiseptic
Minor Ailments Scheme
As a certified health service provider, we give advice and required treatment for sore throat with no GP appointment needed. This is offered under the NHS Minor Ailments Scheme. Get in touch with us today to find out more about the minor ailments scheme and how you can get treatment today.
Check out our latest blog posts for minor ailments and flu vaccinations here: